- Authors: Waterhouse PJ.
- Title: Formocresol and alternative primary molar pulpotomy medicaments: a review.
- Journal: Endod Dent Traumatol
- Date: Aug 1995
- Citation: 11(4):157-62
- Category: Pediatric Endodontics
- Evidence-based Ranking: 5
- Purpose/Objective: To review the history, clinical success, and concerns regarding the safety of formocresol as a primary molar pulpotomy medicament. Alternatives are also discussed.
Discussion: Concerns over formaldehyde toxicity were discussed. Formocresol and formaldehyde have been shown to be cytotoxic, mutagenic and carcinogenic in laboratory and animal experiments. Alternative substances have been used and assessed as possible primary molar pulpotomy medicaments. Calcium hydroxide has been used but with relatively poor outcome and glutaraldehyde with slightly better results (than CaOH).
Reviewers comments: An article showing concerns over formocresol use. Better alternatives are now presently available (eg. ZOE).